[Mihalic] i gat nius

John Burton johnellissenburton at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 19:54:44 EST 2004

Olgeta

Some new things have happened recently.

The first is that Divine Word University, the co-host of the 'Revising the
Mihalic Project' since the project inception in 2000, had a linguistics
meeting on the weekend of 18-19 September. Our project was raised as an item
and attendees, while not exactly au courant with what we have been doing,
have so far expressed positive things about it. I have replied with the news
that DWU is indeed the hub, but reminding all that while there are scholars
in PNG receiving list postings, including at UPNG and Unitech, there are not
enough, indeed far too few active subscribers from Madang.

The second thing is Wiley, the publishers, visited DWU recently and
expressed an interest in doing something on Tok Pisin. Oxford, you will
recall, have also made some moves in this area, but no further updates to
relate.

The third thing is that, having hovered around 50 subscribers for a long
time, we now have 75! A warm welcome to newcomers and a reminder that if you
have something to say, email to mihalic at anu.edu.au not me.

The fourth thing is that, after a long period of enforced idleness, I have
six months at the Australian National University starting today (not on this
project). This list is at the ANU, but I hadn't been in the institution
until now. I am now able to resume regular new postings of Mihalic entries
on the web site, http://coombs.anu.edu.au/SpecialProj/PNG/MIHALIC/Index.htm,
if you have forgotten.

Regards
John Burton

Research Fellow
Resource Management in Asia-Pacific Program
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Australian National University
ACT 0200
Australia
+ 61 2 6125 5359