[Mihalic] No ken lusim tingting long Wage Creek na Waga River long SHP

John Lynch lynch_j at VANUATU.USP.AC.FJ
Tue Mar 15 07:41:37 EST 2005

Yes, I fully agree with Don. As he says, it will start to become
unmanageable otherwise.

-----Original Message-----
From: Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies [mailto:ipngs at global.net.pg]
Sent: Monday, 14 March 2005 9:17 p.m.
To: john.burton at anu.edu.au; Mihalic at anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: [Mihalic] No ken lusim tingting long Wage Creek na Waga River
long SHP

I think place names should generally be left out, unless used in a special
way, such as "Waki Besta", otherwise it just becomes unmanageable. Maybe
include common ones (whatever that means?), but beyond that, maski. This is
supposed to be a dictionary, not an atlas or gazetteer or even geographical
dictionary. (BTW, I think the chart is fascinating!) If you start including
them, do you then include language names, group names, clan names, whatever?

Don

Don Niles
Head & Senior Ethnomusicologist
Music Department