[Mihalic] Pikinini etymology

Ross Clark (ARTS DALSL) r.clark at auckland.ac.nz
Tue May 31 10:24:06 EST 2005

For the reasons stated by Allison Jablonko, I don't think the Italian
name is a likely source.
Let's see if I can make the Portuguese story less inadequate.
My Portuguese-English dictionary has pequenino/pequenina "(adj.) tiny,
wee (n.) a little one (child)".
The word is recorded in English from the mid-17th century, localized to
the West Indies, to refer to non-white babies or children.
There is some room for uncertainty as to whether the Portuguese or a
cognate Spanish form is the source (or both).
>From the early 19th century we find it used in Africa, Australia and the
Pacific. It is the basic word for "child" in all varieties of Melanesian
Pidgin today.
At one time I thought there was a question as to whether the word had
reached the Pacific via some kind of nautical pidgin/jargon or via
English. But this now seems like an unnecessary distinction. It was a
word widely known to English speakers, suitable for use in standard
English when describing exotic peoples and places, or for use in
broken/jargon/pidgin English when speaking to the natives themselves.
Are there other problems that I'm missing?

Ross Clark