[Mihalic] Yumi Boubou Club

Michael Goddard Michael.Goddard at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Aug 16 15:00:01 EST 2006

In the Motu language (coastal area around Port Moresby), 'boubou' derives from 'Bou', meaning to gather together. Boubou is used in modern parlance to refer to collective donations, and particularly ritualised donations to church organisations (ie the United Church) organised anually.
The term has been spreading into into wider (non-Motu) usage locally for a while.

mg

>>> John Cox <jccox at unimelb.edu.au> 08/16/06 1:10 pm >>>
Dear list

I am doing some research into Melanesian fast money schemes and have
come across a newspaper reference to a pyramid scheme by the name of
"Yumi Boubou" club, based in Rabaul a few few years ago. It is
described as "aptly named". Can anyone enlighten me as to possible
meanings of Boubou?

Regards

John Cox
Research Assistant
School of Anthropology, Gepgraphy and Environmental Studies
University of Melbourne