FW: [Mihalic] kapkap

DIGIM'RINA digimrls at upng.ac.pg
Fri Dec 1 17:06:33 EST 2006

In the Trobriand Islands, what is worn over the head, but attached to a
piece of red cloth ribbon, and slanted over the head of a female
dancer/performer, is the moon-shaped multi-colored decoration cut and
pasted together from colored papers called Khapikapi. I do not know how,
let alone when, the New Irelanders and/or the Solomon Islanders introduced
it to us. I have no idea whether shells were used prior to thisnew
innovation!
linus