[Mihalic] kapkap

Thomas H. Slone THSlone at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 17:06:52 EST 2006

Moses Matamana Havini, from Buka, uses the term on this Web page:
http://www.amonline.net.au/snapshots/yumiyet/crown.htm
"The Kapkap  is an intricately carved turtle shell disc totem
surmounted on mother of pearl, and is equivalent to a crown."

The term also refers to Solomon Islands ornaments:
http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nuguinea/solomons/jewelry.htm

Perhaps it is a reduplication of the Solomon Islands Pijin word "kap"
(English cap; Jourdan, p. 91)?  (Though it can also be worn on the
chest.)