[Mihalic] singsing kaur

Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies ipngs at global.net.pg
Tue Jan 31 12:34:50 EST 2006

Both terms should get there eventually, I hope. "Singsing kaur" is not in
Mihalic's dictionary and actually that is the only context in which I've
ever heard "kaur" used. As for a definition of "singsing kaur", I'd suggest
something like:

music/dance from North Solomons Province consisting of singing accompanied
by an ensemble of double-row bamboo panpipes, end-blown bamboo trumpets tied
together in raft form, and end-blown wooden trumpets--all instruments
restricted to North Solomons. Wooden trumpet players dance in a circle
moving clockwise, while singers and other instrumentalists dance around them
in the opposite direction.

Has anyone heard this term used to refer to any music/dance from outside of
North Solomons?

Don

Don Niles
Acting Director & Senior Ethnomusicologist
Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies
Box 1432
Boroko 111
PAPUA NEW GUINEA