[Mihalic] sik muruk

Robin Hide rhide at coombs.anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 19 12:49:57 EST 2006

Bryant suggests that sik muruk reference in relation to epileptic seizures
"is used because the fit is similar to what a cassowary does when it is hit
with an arrow and thrashes about as it dies".

However, other aspects of cassowary behaviour may be more relevant.

For instance, Brian Coates (The Birds of Papua New Guinea Vol 1 1985, pp.
57-8) describes the display of the Double Wattled Cassowary as including,
"the body trembles with the effort of producing the (deep booming) sound",
and similarly for the Dwarf Cassowary.

I also asked two seasoned observers of cassowaries, Andy Mack (AM) and
Debra Wright (DW), for their experience of possibly relevant muruk
behaviours, and they responded:

"
 we have seen a small chick with what seemed like a neurological disorder
where it got very tipsy and uncoordinated and died a few days afterwards." DW

"...in both captive birds and wild ones, I have seen them running around in
a frenzy, kicking trees and bashing into things.  Could be a conceptual
link to epilepsy... " AM

"And ours would jump into the air and come down into somersaults!..  They
are nutty when they are adolescents!" DW

So on the face of it there seems to be certain muruk behavioural traits,
other that their death throes, that may be what sik muruk is referring to
in the context of epilepsy.

Two other points:

1. The description of epilepsy in East New Britain by Hoskin and colleagues
in (Hoskin, J. O., et al.  (1969). “Epilepsy and guria: the shaking
syndromes of New Guinea.” Social Science and Medicine 3: 39-48. makes no
mention of sik muruk.

2. The two firm accounts (Bryant A and Rick S),  other than the
Post-Courier one, so far originate from the one region of Maprik-Dreikikir
in East Sepik  - is the term restricted to that part of PNG?

And- a final query to John Lynch re: The Bislama equivalent is "sik blong
faol" (faol = chicken - we dopnlt have cassowaries in Vanuatu!).
Does "faol" include other species, for instance megapodes? (as in wail paul
in tok pisin?)

Robin Hide