[Mihalic] distribution of Tok Pisin across provinces

Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies ipngs at global.net.pg
Thu Oct 26 09:35:07 EST 2006

Yes, there was a similar question in the 2000 Census. Question 14 on the
form is "What languages can the person read and write with understanding?"
and the choices are "English, Pidgin, Motu, Tokples". Table C4 of the 2000
Census Basic Tables: National Level (Port Moresby: National Statistical
Office, 2002) concerns "Citizen Population aged 10 years and over in Private
Dwellings by Literacy, Age and Sex, 2000", but this provides information for
the country as a whole, not broken down by individual provinces.

However, as Robin pointed out for the 1990 Census, there are also individual
Provincial Reports prepared for each province. I don't have a complete set,
but I assume all would contain a section on literacy, as does (at least) the
one for Western Highlands. There, summary information is given on literacy
in the province for each of the four "languages" identified above, and there
is a table with percentages.

So some information on literacy seems to be there, but not, apparently, in
one table. And, of course, these figures say nothing about those who are not
literate in those languages, but can understand them.

Regards,
Don

Don Niles
Acting Director & Senior Ethnomusicologist
Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies
Box 1432
Boroko 111
PAPUA NEW GUINEA