[Mihalic] diwai pati

Stuart Robinson Stuart.Robinson at mpi.nl
Wed Feb 7 13:48:17 EST 2007

I'm trying to figure out the common and/or scientific name of a type of
tree traditionally used in Bougainville to putty canoes. I've come across
references to it as 'diwai pati' in Tok Pisin and as 'asitai' in Rotokas.
Here's an example taken from an in-progress trilingual Rotokas/Tok
Pisin/English dictionary:

\ex Asitai ova oa iava kueara-ia, opuruara asitapaveira.
\xp Long diwai pati ol man i save kisim prut bilong em na patim ol kanu.
\xe The 'asitai' tree, they always puttied canoes with the fruit of it.

Any ideas from the more botanically knowledgeable out there?

Thanks,
Stuart

| Stuart Robinson <stuart dot robinson at mpi dot nl>  |
| Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics           |
| Postbus 310                                          |
| 6500 AH Nijmegen                                     |
| The Netherlands                                      |
| +31 (0)64 854 6708 (mobile)                          |
| http://www.mpi.nl/Members/StuartRobinson             |