[Mihalic] kam man, kam meri

Robin Hide rhide at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 20 10:01:06 EST 2008

A  year ago, in the pre PNG election period, I noticed  for the first time
the appearance in print of the term(s) "kam man, meri" for migrants, in
contrast to asples man etc.

It appeared on at least 3 occasions (centred on Madang), e.g.

Pamba, Kevin (2007). Candidates incite hatred, issue threats. The National,
Tuesday, 15 May 2007. http://www.thenational.com.pg/051507/nation7.htm

Pamba, Kevin (2007). 'Kam man' not in the way of 'asples man. The National,
The Notebook, Tuesday, 15 May 2007.
http://www.thenational.com.pg/051507/column3.htm

Tanirau, Madang (2007). Letter: 'Kam man, meri' must respect Madang.
Post-Courier, Friday, 31 August 2007.
http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20070831/view03.htm

George Curry and Gina Koczberski (whose most interesting seminar on
Migration and Oil Palm yesterday at ANU sent me back to check newspaper
cuttings), say that they first heard the term used in Wosera in East Sepik
in 1988.

Does anyone else have information on this term,  its distribution and usage?

Robin Hide