[Mihalic] kam man, kam meri, kam lain

Courtney Handman cjhandma at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 20 15:09:50 EST 2008

In the Yupno area (Huon-Finisterre mountains on the Madang-
Morobe border) I've been hearing 'kam lain' to refer to
clans that came after the "original" clan to the area.  (I
put this in quotes since most clans argue that they were
first, others were the 'kam lain.')

I did not hear kam man/meri/lain where I was working
previously, at the other end of Morobe in the Waria Valley,
but since everyone there recognizes themselves as migrants
from the Morobe coast, it probably wouldn't be very
informative to say that everyone was a kam man/meri/lain.

Courtney Handman
Graduate Student
Departments of Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Chicago