[Mihalic] "Vaialens"

John Burton john.burton at anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 16 10:17:36 EST 2009

I (mildly) disagree because this gives the impression that pidgins are
not only "reduced instruction set" versions of their donor languages,
the reduction is happening continuously in the present.

TP, TSC, Bislama, and SIP originate with two regional pidgin provinces*
- Central Pacific Pidgin and various pidgins spoken in the mainland of
Australia, whether by cane cutters or Aboriginal people. Obviously the
main donor language is English and many of the words do look the same as
modern English ones, but they've been away a long time.

(* if there are intending PhD candidates about, here's a great topic)

The donor English of the 1840s had many words we can barely recognise
the usage of today:

English pull, to row a boat / TP pul, to paddle a canoe - last
convincing mainstream citation in the OED is to a passage in Dickens.
English foreward, the fore part of a ship / TP poret, the bow - can't
say I have ever heard a native speaker of English utter this, although
movies and books say they do.
English heavy / TP hevi (or heve), as a noun** - there are many words
like this whose idiomatic usages are worlds apart and very likely have
roots some way back in time.

e.g. ** wanpela heve i stap = "group of 77 nations unite against bid to
scrap Kyoto"

"Vaialens" is fine in a "whatever" sort of way. David Week is thinking a
foreign NGO created this word. We can't know this. NGOs generally leave
TP notices to local staff, do they not.

John