[Mihalic] Korapsen

Janna Zimmermann jannaz at web.de
Thu Nov 26 02:06:57 EST 2009

Hi All,

I am by no means suggesting that the variety used by Wantok is good.
On the contrary. As has been noted, e.g. by John Burton, the variety used is heavily influenced by English.
But quite honestly: In a country where the language of education is English as of grade three, with no standardization of Tok Pisin, what can you expect?
It is hard to determine the number of readers Wantok has. But it IS the only newspaper published in TP. Therefore, one must assume that it definitely influences its readers – and the variety Wantok uses is situated at the urban end of the Creole continuum.
Even if Tok Pisin creates a sense of togetherness for lots of people, the prestige of English is rather high. And despite the effort of linguists, who for decades have recommended the standardization of Tok Pisin, nothing has happened so far.
So unless something changes soon, I’m afraid English will creep into Tok Pisin more and more.

Best regards,
Janna

Janna Zimmermann
Theaterstr. 7