[Nauty-list] Multithreading

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 14 17:37:56 EST 2012

Hi David, That's not really an example because it can be done with
thread-local variables. It appears now that it is not hard to allow
one nauty invocation at a time per thread. True reentrancy would
only be required if some user-defined procedure called by nauty
wants to make additional calls to nauty. It is plausible, but I
don't know of any examples. (Anyone knowing of one, please tell me.)

Of course, true reentrancy would be the most desirable situation but
it always seemed hard to achieve without a performance hit. Now that
thread-local variables are available, the possibility arises of having
thread-local free lists of dynamic memory.  This is not as trivial as
it seems, but I'm thinking about it.

Brendan.

* David Vevar <david.vevar at gmail.com> [120114 03:49]: