[Nauty-list] Sparse or dense?

Hans Georg Schaathun georg+nauty at schaathun.net
Mon Apr 15 20:00:32 EST 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 08:19:29AM +1000, Brendan McKay wrote:
> For random graphs the tipping point comes when the average degree is
> about the square root of the number of vertices.

Thanks a lot.  That's a very useful point of reference.
It strongly indicates that I have at least to try the sparse structure.

>                                                   We didn't run any
> comparisons for graphs like your highly unbalanced bipartite graphs,
> so I can't predict which is best. You need to experiment. You can
> also try Traces, which uses the same graph structure as sparse nauty.

Is traces algorithmically different from nauty?  I had the impression
that the difference was in the output only.  I am only interested in
the canonical labelling, and I use nauty inside a search to eliminate
equivalent graphs.  Could traces be faster or slower than sparse nauty
depending on the input graph?

--
:-- Hans Georg