[PapuanLanguages] Data on Ambakich [aew], Uyajitaya [duk] and Sam [snx]

Ulla Briscoe ulla.briscoe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 03:57:02 EST 2009

Dear all,

I am new to this list and would like to briefly introduce myself: My name is
Ulla, and I am a postgraduate student at Salzburg University, Austria. I am
currently writing my MSc thesis in Geographical Information Science, which
focuses on issues of data quality for mapping lesser used languages in GIS.
To draw conclusions about geolinguistic data quality I am investigating some
sample languages including Ambakich [aew], Uyajitaya [duk] and Sam [snx].

However (and here's the reason why I got in touch with you), I have been
unable to track down reliable, current data with regard to language
location/distribution and numbers of speakers. The only sources I have found
are the Ethnologue entries/SIL survey reports.

I therefore would like to ask whether any of know about fieldwork currently
being undertaken on these languages and could maybe give me some pointers as
to where to find more data. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Ulla