[PapuanLanguages] cryptic borrowings

Christian Döhler christian.doehler at uni-koeln.de
Sat Aug 3 15:34:27 AEST 2019

Hello,

I am looking for examples - in Melanesia or elsewhere - in which
vocabulary from another language has been borrowed into a language for
the purpose of making reference to certain topics cryptic. I am sorry
about the clumsy description, but I hope it becomes clearer when I give
my Komnzo example below.

There are a couple of birds in Komnzo, who play a role in a mythical
story about the origin of the bullroarer, which is an object only for
initiated men. According to this story, the bullroarer comes from a
woman's vulva and a bird snatched it from there. The names of some of
those birds involved are reduplications. Note that many Komnzo bird
names are reduplications, but in these cases there is no baseform in the
Komnzo lexicon. However, two of the baseforms exist in two languages of
the area. Although the two languages are spoken about 60km away (in
opposite directions), the respective baseform in both cases mean
"vulva". Therefore, I assume that 1) these birds were named
deliberately, 2) there names were choosen in order to make reference to
that story and 3) the words were choosen from other languages in order
to conceal this link because the story is only for initiated men.

It would be great to hear if anyone has heard of something similar and
could maybe point me literature on the topic of "using other languages
to conceal something (in one's own language)".

Best
Christian

--
Dr. Christian Döhler