[ANU Sailing Club] FYI - sailing risks over winter in Canberra [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Pudniks, Kurt MR Kurt.Pudniks at defence.gov.au
Wed May 11 17:44:58 EST 2011

UNCLASSIFIED

Hello all,

Please be aware that in winter the water is very cold and the westerly
winds are turbulent and gusty and can be very strong at around 40 knots.
Today is a perfect example.  35 knot westerly gusts and while the temp
is around 7 the apparent temp is sub zero (and it's the apparent temp
that matters).

Even if wearing life jacket and full length wetsuit, if the worst was to
happen and required a swim of several hundred meters after you've
struggled with your boat or gear for awhile, there is a significant
safety risk of hypothermia or worse in a shorter time period than you
might expect.

Please ensure if you do choose to sail:

Only sail in conditions you've checked on BOM and can definitely handle,
check your gear, arrange reliable backup such as other sailors you know
can assist if required to, ideally a powerboat or in a race with CYC or
YMCA (if any are run over winter?).

All the best.
Kurt.

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence
and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914.
If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.