[Aqualist] "Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments"

Keith Crook crook at soest.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 17 12:02:44 EST 2004

I have been asked to arrange for reviews of the 4 volumes listed below to
be prepared for publication in the journal "Sedimentary Geology".  This
strikes me a good opportunity for Oz & NZ Quaternarists to become more
familiar with the full range of techniques being used in the Northern
Hemisphere.  The series editors (John P. Smol & William M. Last) are at
Canadian universities.

    *  Volume 1: Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments: Basin
Analysis, Coring, and Chronological Techniques. 2001. Last, W. M. and Smol,
J. P. (editors) xvii + 548 pp.

    * Volume 2: Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments:
Physical and Geochemical Methods. 2001. Last, W. M. and Smol, J. P.
(editors) xvi + 504 pp.

    * Volume 3: Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments:
Terrestrial, Algal, and Siliceous Indicators. 2001. Smol, J. P., Birks, H.
J. B. and Last, W. M. (editors) >359 pp.

    * Volume 4: Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments:
Zoological Indicators. 2001. Smol, J. P., Birks, H. J. B. and Last, W. M.
(editors) >187 pp.

These are the first four volumes in the series "Developments in
Paleoenvironmental Research".  Further details of the content of each
volume can be found at:

<http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~mlast/paleolim/monotitles.html>

The publisher (Kluwer Academic Publishers), has offered to provide one copy
of each of these volumes to the person (or group) willing to take on this
task.  I can provide a two-page guide "How to Write an Effective Book
Criticism".  This may be needed, as the four volumes aggregate some 1750
pages.  If you are interested, or have any comments, please email me.

Keith A W Crook, Editor-in-Chief of "Sedimentary Geology".
<crook at soest.hawaii.edu>