[Aqualist] CAVEPS 2007: Melbourne, Australia - 1st circular

Tim Barrows Tim.Barrows at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 16:25:35 EST 2005

 From Anne Warren <A.Warren at latrobe.edu.au>

FIRST CIRCULAR

CAVEPS 2007

11th Conference on Vertebrate Evolution, Palaeontology and Systematics

Museum Victoria
Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

9 April - 12 April, 2007

You are invited to attend the 11th CAVEPS to be held at Museum Victoria,
Melbourne Australia.

Close to Melbourne are many Devonian fossil fish sites and Early Cretaceous
sites with dinosaurs and mammals (excursion 1).

CAVEPS is a biennial meeting of vertebrate palaeontologists from around
Australia and overseas. CAVEPS 2007 will consist of 4 days of general
sessions including papers on all aspects of vertebrate palaeontology, as
well as a fossil fish symposium.

The conference will be held during the AVCC (Australian Vice Chancellors
Commission) common vacation week and will commence on Tuesday 9 April
(Monday 8th is Easter Monday), and culminate on Friday 12 of April.

Venue
The meeting will be held in The Age Theatre within Museum Victoria, a
modern museum situated close to the city centre.

Facilities will be available for slide and Powerpoint presentations (a call
for papers will
be issued with the second circular). There will be a welcome function at
the Museum
and a conference dinner at a local restaurant.

Field trips
Excursion 1. A field trip will follow the conference. It is planned to
visit the famous Early Cretaceous sites in the Strzelecki Group along the
coast east of Melbourne. These have produced several dinosaurs, the last
known stereospondyl amphibian, and, most recently, at least three mammals.
This trip will continue to the northeast of Victoria to visit Devonian fish
sites, returning via the Yarra Valley, one of the best wine growing regions
in Australia. This trip should take 4-5 days.

Excursion 2. For those with limited time a day trip to the Cretaceous sites
may be possible.

Attractions
Melbourne, Australia's 'most liveable city' is a multicultural city
renowned for the quality of its' restaurants and coffee houses. It is
situated on a large bay within easy reach of surf beaches. Bell's Beach,
which is host to many surfing competitions, is about two hours away, and is
close to coastal parks including the 'twelve apostles'.

Australia's best known display of native fauna, at Healesville Sanctuary,
is approximately 1.5 hours drive from the city.

Melbourne has one of Australia's best developed arts precincts with the
newly refurbished National gallery of Victoria, the Ian Potter Gallery at
Federation Square, Australia's largest Museums complex (including Melbourne
Museum, Immigration Museum and Scienceworks) plus the recently renovated
State Library (where Ned Kelly's armour is on display).

For those not so into culture, Melbourne has a great variety of down to
earth pubs, and there's always a footy match guaranteed on a Friday night
or Saturday afternoon.

Accommodation
Accommodation available includes city hotels of varying degrees of comfort,
serviced apartments, university student rooms, and backpacker's hostels. We
will be sending details of pricing in the next circular.

Expressions of interest are sought for CAVEPS 2007.
Please forward a brief reply to indicating whether you hope to attend the
conference and would like to remain on the mailing list.

Please register your interest by returning the following details to: Stella
Claudius: Claudius, Stella [sclaudia at museum.vic.gov.au]

Name:

Postal address:

Email address:

Please delete any of the following responses that do not apply:

1.	I intend to be at the conference
2.	I may attend the conference
3.	I am interested in Excursion 1 (Cretaceous and Devonian).
4.	I am interested in Excursion 2 (Cretaceous).
5.	I am unlikely to attend the 2005 conference, but please send further
circulars.
6.	I have no further interest in CAVEPS meetings. Please remove me from
this list.

Remember!!
It is your responsibility to notify us of changes to your email address and
other contact details if you wish to remain on the mailing list for CAVEPS
2007.

Conference convenors:
John Long: logistics (accommodation, dinner, venue); Devonian fish field trip
email: jlong at museum.vic.gov.au
John Long
Museum Victoria
11 Nicholson Street