[Aqualist] Reminder: Inaugural Melbourne/Ballarat-based Palaeo-discussion Group

Michael-Shawn Fletcher michael.fletcher at live.com.au
Wed Apr 24 13:21:26 EST 2013

Hello AQUA People,

This is a reminder for those of us likely to be around Melbourne this Friday
(26th) that we are getting together for the Inaugural
Melbourne/Ballarat-based Palaeo-discussion Group.

For those who missed my initial email, here it is again:

Those of us in the Melbourne-Ballarat area are holding a periodic discussion
group (quarterly) that will kick off on Friday 26th of April at 3:30pm at
the University of Melbourne.  This is NOT exclusive to people in
Melbourne-Ballarat areas only, and all are welcome to come along and touch
base with others in the research field.

This inaugural meeting comes out of the recognition of a growing group of
palaeo-focussed research groups in the Melbourne-Ballarat region and is
intended as an opportunity for people to get together who are involved in
palaeo-research/teaching/etc (this as inclusive of anyone in any discipline
who is interested in longer temporal perspectives).  This will be a chance
for us to put names to faces, see what people are doing and possibly spark
new, or reignite old, collaborations.  Future meetings (likely quarterly),
will be more structured and centred around more formal presentations.

Time: 3:30-4:30pm

Date: Friday 26th April, 2013

Where: Meeting Room L1.52, 221 Bouverie Street, The University of Melbourne
(http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/parkville/building/379).

What to expect/prepare:

1.       I thought we could each give a little talk (1-3 minutes).
Basically, something that introduces you and lets us know about your
research project, objectives and/or future directions;

2.       Get together a list of the collective equipment we all have (field
and laboratory) that we are happy to share via straight out loans or via
collaboration (n.b. some people unable to make it have already provided me
with a list of what  they have.  If you are in the same boat and can't make
it, please feel free to do the same).

Finally, we will have no doubt worked up a thirst and possibly a hunger.
Those who are interested in doing so (I will be) can wander toward Lygon
Street for dinner, via a pub for a beer/wine/other.

Please, pass this on to anyone you feel that would be interested and able to
make it

If you could try and RSVP to me (msfl at unimelb.edu.au) so I can get an idea
of numbers, etc., that would be great.

See you all on the 26th!

Cheers,

Michael.

Dr Michael-Shawn Fletcher

Department of Resource Management and Geography

221 Bouverie Street

The University of Melbourne

Parkville, 3010

Victoria, Australia