[Aqualist] SHAPE - Southern Hemisphere Assessment of PalaeoEnvironments email list & special journal issue update

Jessica Reeves j.reeves at federation.edu.au
Wed Aug 19 17:16:59 AEST 2015

Greetings,

We'll continue to use this email list to stay in touch about the developing SHAPE IFG and potential SHAPE projects for the current intercongress period. The information we have at present is that applications will be due early in 2016, so watch this space.

In following through with one of our goals for the first phase of SHAPE, there was a plan for a special issue related to the work being done across the SHAPE project.

We have heard back from editors from Climates of the Past (Discussion) and also Journal of Quaternary Science about this prospect. They are both keen to receive submissions about SHAPE research.  We also have the INQUA-preferred vehicle of Quaternary International. And from the look of this list, and the fact we had 46 presentations in SHAPE at INQUA, I think we should have no problem fleshing out a couple of special issues.

In consideration that many parts of SHAPE deal with ecology, geochronology, stratigraphy, geophysics and methods aside from climate reconstruction, a multi-pronged approach and having a choice of JQS, QI and CPD/CP is also a nice one to have.

We've been asked to collate a list of potential papers by the editorial boards for consideration ahead of a formal initiation of a special issue on either front.

For those interested in submitting a SHAPE contribution, can you please send me a potential paper title and your list of coauthors, and which journal you think you would like to submit your work to (an 'either' reply is also fine).  I'd like to reply to both journals by 31 August.

Once we have numbers and potential papers in place, Drew will then solicit SHAPE members for a range of expertise to cover coeditor and subeditor duties (and I'm sure there will also be potential reviewers on this list as well) ...

It has been suggested that the submission window for papers should be relatively narrow (3-5 months), so something along the lines of within this calendar year for close off of work is realistic.

Please feel free to contact Drew directly ( a.lorrey at niwa.co.nz<mailto:a.lorrey at niwa.co.nz> ) if more info is required.

cheers
Jess
(on behalf of Drew, Steven and the rest of the SHAPE phase 1 steering committee)