[Aqualist] List hijacking

Barrows, Tim T.Barrows at exeter.ac.uk
Fri May 12 20:45:51 AEST 2017

Dear all,

Earlier today the AQUA mailing list was hacked and messages were sent from the administrator's email addresses. The list contains a number of measures to combat spam including email matching against the subscription list, stripping of html and formatting, and stripping of attachments. Occasionally these measures have been a pain but they have prevented virtually all spam getting through during its 17 year life. In recent years we have relaxed some of the security measures because anti-spam software on university servers is now very good.  I have temporarily bumped up the security features until we see if there are any repeats and then we will re-evaluate the measures needed. In the meantime be vigilant in case the scam attempt is more convincing than the one earlier today.

As a reminder, please don't send attachments if you can avoid it -either copy the text inline or include a link to where it can be accessed (depositing on the website is a good idea). In terms of etiquette, please try to make the subject as informative as possible and remember your email is going out to 700 subscribers, so it needs to be generally relevant to the Quaternary. If your message to the list bounces, first check that the address you are sending from is the same as the one you were subscribed with. To review your subscription please visit:

>From here you can change your settings, suspend your subscription and unsubscribe. Please do not email the entire membership to unsubscribe.

Thanks,

Tim

Dr Timothy T. Barrows