[Aqualist] Reminder for INQUA session: Challenges and advances in the geochronology of loess archives

Fitzsimmons, Kathryn K.Fitzsimmons at mpic.de
Fri Jan 4 23:25:22 AEDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

INQUA Dublin 2019 abstract submissions are due next week, 9 January!

http://www.inqua2019.org/call-for-abstracts/

We hope you'll consider submitting an oral or poster presentation to our session:

"Silt, snails, carbonates and wiggles: challenges and advances in the geochronology of loess archives"

Convenors: Kathryn Fitzsimmons, Dan Veres, Thomas Stevens, Slobodan Markovic, Jan-Pieter Buylaert, Aditi Dave, Alida Timar-Gabor, Christian Zeeden, Christoph Schmidt, Gabor Ujvari

INQUA Commission: Terrestrial processes, deposits and history

Session description:
Loess is one of the most widespread, and valuable, archives of Quaternary palaeoclimate in the terrestrial realm. Long sequences of alternating loess-paleosol stratigraphy, at times reaching several hundred metres in thickness, preserve sedimentological, geochemical, and biological indicators of past climatic conditions. These deposits are long been assumed to represent continuous deposition over long periods of time, and to correlate with global climatic oscillations over Quaternary time scales. Essential to such correlations - and therefore to the assumption of proxy connection to large scale climatic influences - are accurate and robust geochronologies and corresponding age models. Geochronological controls on loess deposition have until recently been limited with respect to precision, methodology and resolution of direct dating, and applicability of age models based on reliable age tie-points and statistics.

This session aims to facilitate discussion of new approaches to developing reliable geochronologies in loess archives which will enable reliable comparison of loess with marine, ice core and other global palaeoclimate records. We welcome discussions on new geochronological approaches - such as extension of maximum dating limits, dating of new materials preserved in loess, and increased precision - and on the integration of these more robust geochronologies with age models for quantification of mass accumulation rates and correlation with millennial-scale climatic oscillations.

We look forward to seeing you in Dublin!
Kat, Dan, Tom, Slobodan, Jan-Pieter, Aditi, Alida, Christian, Christoph and Gabor

Kathryn Fitzsimmons
Research Group for Terrestrial Palaeoclimates<http://www.mpic.de/en/research/further-groups/gruppe-fitzsimmons.html>
Max Planck Institute for Chemistry
Hahn-Meitner-Weg 1