[Asia_news] Human Geography Seminar

Sandra Davenport sandra.davenport at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 30 11:07:59 EST 2006

Monday, 13 November, 2006
3.30pm - 5.00pm, Seminar Room C, Coombs Building

Gerda Roelvink
PhD Candidate
Department of Human Geography

Broadening the horizons of political economy

Neoliberal political economy is no longer the accepted state of
affairs but rather has unravelled into proliferating concerns about
social and economic issues. A growing number of widely accessible and
popular books and documentary films have emerged which assemble,
represent and make real this terrain of concern. This paper examines
two documentary films, The Take and Les Glaneurs et al Glaneuse (The
Gleaners and I). Through The Take it explores the way in which
alternative economies are performatively brought into being while The
Gleaners and I illustrates how one might go about reassembling the
terrain of political economy by engaging the periperformative.
Together these films offer a way of broadening political economy with
implications for the performative potential of research more generally.

Convenor
Kersty Hobson
Department of Human Geography, Research School of Pacific & Asian Studies
Email: kersty.hobson at anu.edu.au
Tel: 612 54344