[Easttimorstudies] query re east-west conflict

John Tony Hajek j.hajek at unimelb.edu.au
Fri May 26 12:07:44 EST 2006

Just a note to be added: evidence of east-west tensions has been seen
previously before Indonesian times though I am not sure to what extent it
has been discussed (as opposed to more recent events). If I recall
correctly a rebellion in the 1950s in the west was suppressed very
effectively and brutally by soldiers drawn from the east and under
Portuguese command. More information on all of this would be extremely
useful.
John