[TimorLesteStudies] Publication: Building relationships across the Timor Sea: an evaluation of the Australian/Timorese friendship agreements

Jennifer Drysdale jenster at cres10.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 17 11:03:07 EST 2007

>From: Rebecca Spence <rspence1 at une.edu.au>
>
>hi Jen,
>Here are the details:
>Public Administration and Development Volume 27, Issue 4 (October
>2007) (p 333-340) \
>
>Building relationships across the Timor Sea: an evaluation of the
>Australian/Timorese friendship agreements
>Rebecca Spence, Fiona Ninnes
>Published Online: 27 Jun 2007
This article explores the concept and dynamics of the newly formed,
and increasingly popular, Friendship Agreements, between local
councils in Australia, and their counterpart district administrations
in Timor Leste. The history and purpose of international municipal
links are explored and contrasted with current Friendship Agreement
policy and practice. The key elements of making international
municipal links a success are examined and the main impediments to
forging and maintaining sustainable partnerships are discussed and
contrasted with the Australian/Timorese experience. The article
offers suggestions for creating sustainable, vibrant links. It argues
that those Agreements built on notions of paternalism are less likely
to succeed than those that are committed to relationship and trust
building between and within communities in Australia and Timor Leste.