[TimorLesteStudies] New publication: Kerry Taylor-Leech: Quick-fix English:Discontinuities in a language development aid project

Bu Wilson Bu.Wilson at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 11 10:01:59 EST 2009

New publication

Taylor-Leech, Kerry (2009)
Quick-fix English: Discontinuities in a language development aid project.

English Teaching: Practice and Critique
Volume 8, Number 1
May 2009
pp. 97-111

Abstract
In this classroom narrative article I discuss some of my experiences as a
teacher in an Australian government-funded English language development aid
project during the United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor
(UNTAET). The program formed part of an emergency response to the
devastating violence that accompanied the Indonesian withdrawal from the
country after 24 years of occupation. Using journal extracts based on my
ethnographic research in East Timor, I outline some telling pedagogical and
social disconnections that arose between the development community and the
community it purported to serve. I note aspects of my experience that might
be relevant to other language development aid projects in a post-colonial,
globalising world.

Full article available at
http://education.waikato.ac.nz/research/journal/view.php?view=true&id=42&p=1

Kerry Taylor-Leech