[TimorLesteStudies] Class IV Research Visa for Timor-Leste

Sarina Kilham Sarina.Kilham at uts.edu.au
Wed Nov 10 16:25:01 EST 2010

Here are some hints for any other researchers thinking about getting a Class IV Visa (research) in Timor-Leste.

 *   At the moment, you can only apply within Timor-Leste. I was advised by Timor-Leste Embassy to enter on tourist visa (USD$30 at border)
 *   Visa applications can be lodged at the Consular Affairs Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
 *   The visa office accepts applications Mon-Thurs 9am-12pm. Collection occurs in the afternoon.
 *   You need two copies of the Visa form printed on A3 size (so that it folds like a booklet). Do not attempt to submit a form printed on A4.
 *   You also need the following attachments
    *   Medical Certificate (this should be very formal and include your doctors letterhead, qualifications etc) stating that your psychological/physical fitness.
    *   Police Certificate from AFP in Australia (or your country of origin)
    *   Authenticated copies of your passport. This copies MUST be authenticated by your Embassy and MUST have your Embassy stamp on them.  At the Australian Embassy, this will cost USD$27 for first authenticated copy, and USD $2 for each other copy.
    *   Photocopy of your CURRENT visa (e.g the tourist visa that you entered on).
    *   Passport photographs
    *   Rent contract and/or Hotel contract
    *   Proof of means of support (at least USD$50/day)
    *   Work contract*
    *   Company register*
    *   Tax payment certificate*
    *   * = I think these are only if you want a work visa.
 *   Take your own clean manila folder
 *   Make sure you have the original plus 2 Copies of everything (you need to submit two copies)
 *   On submitting you should receive a note that gives you a case number and confirms that you have lodged your application.
 *   I was advised that my application would take 1 month to process, and that I would need to extend my tourist visa in the meantime.
To extend your tourist visa- you will need to visit the Immigration Section (opposite UNTL Social Science building /corner near Tropical Bakery). You will need a local host (Timorese colleague willing to be your sponsor). This person will need to provide their electoral card and details on the form given by the Immigration Office. You also need passport photos. The Immigration Section will keep your passport for 2-4 weeks for processing.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/easttimorstudies/attachments/20101110/0b6fff93/attachment-0001.html 

More information about the Easttimorstudies mailing list