[TimorLesteStudies] Hope for East Timor Gas Resolution

robert wesley-smith rwesley at ozemail.com.au
Wed Aug 3 12:33:52 EST 2011

Hope for East Timor Gas Resolution

Friends

this contribution is supplied by me but with the permission of the
author, oil and gas engineer Geoff McKee.

This came about because Jude Conway wanted to have a seminar on this
topic in Newcastle. Her guests included Tomas Freitas, and she asked
me to help locate McKee, so I asked him what he had come up with.
After some fine tuning of the talk, he has made this comprehensive
document, and is happy for me to introduce it.  One has to view it
from Scribd, as it probably would not meet all the etan criteria given
the graphics.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/61233103/Fuelling-Timor-leste-Gamckee#fullscreen
:on

In my humble opinion it provides a way forward over the stalled
development of Greater Sunrise.  It is an engineer's view, but from
long experience and goodwill.   (I found one date edit:  under Framing
the Debate, date should read May 31 2011).  With my different
background I probably have slightly different views on some issues.
Who cares?   It is up to the East Timor nation and its government to
take this opportunity to re-start realistic negotiations with the new
CEO of Woodside and partners, and vice versa, if they want to gain the
benefits of this resource.

In brief, McKee proposes ways to bring a share of the gas to East
Timor that will enable a secure future if it is used wisely for
economic development. eg Clean fuel for major industrial development
including the proposed big new power stations, and provide LPG and
other products as required for home and business users.  I have 2
recent reports on my computer, headed:  1.  'Leader hopes for East
Timor gas resolution',  view of JR Horta; and 2.  'Gusmao called on
Australia to help TL-LNG'.   Clearly East Timor leaders want to
progress this issue, and clearly Woodside and partners want to develop
the field.  I say: over to the level heads who are prepared to
carefully study the real issues and needs, costs and benefits.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/61233103/Fuelling-Timor-leste-Gamckee#fullscreen
:on

Rob Wesley-Smith,  Darwin
rwesley at ozemail.com.au    08 89832113