[TimorLesteStudies] Article: Relational Dimensions within Timor-Leste Customary Society

Michael Leach mleach at swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 16 23:43:48 AEDT 2015

________________________________
Relational Dimensions within Timor-Leste Customary Society<http://karaudikur.blogspot.com/2015/12/relational-dimensions-within-timor.html>

Josh Trindade
[paper presented at 5th Timor-Leste Studies Association (TLSA) conference Liceu Campus, National University of Timor-Lorosa’e, Dili, Timor-Leste, 9 – 10 July 2015]

Introduction

One of the key features of Timorese customary society are the complex relational dimensions that glue the society together. The relational dimensions that underpin East Timorese customary society have been critical to the reproduction and reconstitution of society, before during and after colonial occupation.

In this paper, I explore these relational dimensions focusing on three areas of discussion. First, I describe the relationship between the people (the ‘real’ world) and the world of the spirits and divine entities. Second, the relationship between people and nature and the importance of natural resources such as land, water, forests, rivers, lakes and mountains for the survival of East Timorese communities. Finally, how relations between people are organized and managed within ‘traditional’ East Timorese society. For this purpose I will specifically unravel the significance of brother-sister alliance (feton-nan), brother-brother alliance (maun-alin andalin-maun) and sister-sister alliance (bin-alin).

(Full article at: http://karaudikur.blogspot.com/2015/12/relational-dimensions-within-timor.html)