[TimorLesteStudies] Article on health access in Timor-Leste

Sara Niner saraniner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:15:37 AEDT 2016

Dear TLSA, please share the following article, best wishes Sara
“I go I die, I stay I die, better to stay and die in my house”:
understanding the barriers to accessing health care in Timor-Leste

Jennifer A. Price, Ana I. F. Sousa Soares, Augustine D. Asante, Joao S.
Martins, Kate Williams and Virginia L. Wiseman

*Abstract*

Background: Despite public health care being free at the point of delivery
in Timor-Leste, wealthier patients access hospital care at nearly twice the
rate of poorer patients. This study seeks to understand the barriers
driving inequitable utilisation of hospital services in Timor-Leste from
the perspective of community members and health care managers.

*Dr.** Sara Niner* Lecturer & Researcher
*M**onash University *| School of Social Sciences | Anthropology
* P*hone: AU +61 3 99024139 | *E*mail: sara.niner at monash.edu
* L*ocation: Menzies Building 20 Ch, 4th Floor, East Wing, Room E470
Clayton Campus
*W*eb: http://profiles.arts.monash.edu.au/sara-niner/
Scopus Author ID: 25655204800
<http://www.scopus.com/inward/authorDetails.url?authorID=25655204800&partnerID=MN8TOARS>
 orcid.org/0000-0003-2175-965X

*New Book: W**omen and the politics of gender in Post-Conflict Timor-Leste,
*Women in Asia Series, Routledge. More info here
<https://www.routledge.com/Women-and-the-Politics-of-Gender-in-Post-Conflict-Timor-Leste-Between/Niner/p/book/9781138999121>

Monash University's Australian campuses are proudly on Kulin land. Monash
University acknowledges and pays respects to the Kulin people, including
elders past and present.
--
*Sara L. Niner*
Australia 0417 357 298