[TimorLesteStudies] New book: Susana Viegas and Rui Feijo (eds), "Transformations in Independent Timor-Leste" (Routledge, 2017)

Michael Leach mleach at swin.edu.au
Fri Jul 28 15:37:27 AEST 2017

Susana de Matos Viegas and Rui Graça Feijó (eds.). 2017. Transformations in Independent Timor-Leste: Dynamics of Social and Cultural Cohabitations, Abingdon: Routledge.
http://208.254.74.112/books/details/9781138691438/

CONTENTS

Introduction: exploring cohabitations in Timor-Leste Susana de Matos and Rui Graça Feijó

Part I Contexts for a "revival of custom"

1. Returning to origin places in an expanding world: customary ritual in independent Timor-Leste Elisabeth G. Traube

2. Hunting and harvesting in the commons: on the cultural politics of custom Andrew McWilliam

3. The re-assertion of sacralised authority in post-occupation Uato-Lari Susana Barnes

4. Territorialities of the fallen heroes Susana de Matos Viegas and Rui Graça Feijó

Part II Land and territory

5. The challenges of establishing a land tenure system in a newly independent state Dionisio Babo Soares

6. Navigating without a compass: state transition in Timor-Leste's formal land tenure system Bernardo Almeida

7. Reconceptualizing land and territory in Oecusse Ambeno's enclave's special economic zone Laura S. Meitzner Yoder

8. Exchange, water and motif in an etic genre of narrative David Hicks

Part III Governance and democracy

9. An ecology of governance: rethinking the state and political community M. Anne Brown and Damian Grenfell

10. Managing persons and rituals: economic pedagogy as government tactics Kelly Silva

11. Local administration: a view from Vemasse Michael Leach

12. At home we wear cawat, outside we wear a tie: cohabitation and political legitimacy in grass-roots democracy Rui Graça Feijó

13. Conflict resolution and the making of personhood in Lisadila, Maubara Daniel S. Simião

Professor Michael Leach
Chair, Department of Social Sciences
Faculty of Health, Arts and Design
Swinburne University of Technology