[evo.theory] Fwd: Evo Theory this Friday

Chris L christopher.hunter.lean at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 16:32:00 EST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kyle Stanford <stanford at uci.edu>
Date: Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: Evo Theory this Friday
To: Chris L <christopher.hunter.lean at gmail.com>
Cc: evo.theory at anu.edu.au, philsoc-l at anu.edu.au

Hi All,
Many thanks to those who joined us Friday for a lively discussion that was
extremely useful for me!  It was proposed at that meeting that instead of
reading papers from the De Waal, Churchland, et. al. volume for the next
week or two we might read some other parts of my own work, perhaps
especially stuff connected to scientific realism.  I am very happy to do
whichever of these things people would prefer.  There are two forthcoming
papers I can think of that would be natural given some widespread interests
around here:  “Naturalism Without Scientism” (which argues, in part, that
you need not be a scientific realist to be a philosophical naturalist of
any sort you should want to be) and “So Long and Thanks for All the Fish:
 Metaphysics and the Philosophy of Science” (which is just what it sounds
like).  I’m also perfectly happy to look together at any of my earlier
published work on the ‘problem of unconceived alternatives’ realism
business, but I will be giving updates on that anyway at my talk in the
Tuesday seminar series.  Please just let me know if you have any
preferences or further thoughts, and please accept my apologies if you’ve
read this far but have no interest in any of this and/or no idea what I’m
talking about—I don’t really know how wide the distribution is for these
two email lists…
Best,
Kyle

--