[evo.theory] Evolutionary Theory Reading Group + more!

Lachlan Walmsley ldw917 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 14:29:40 AEDT 2018

Dear all,

Last week, some of us went to Wollongong and thought a lot about
representation at the Naturally Evolving Minds conference.

In that spirit, this week, we will be reading *Gladziejewski and
Milkowski's (2017) *paper *"Structural representations: causally relevant
and different from detectors," published in Biology and Philosophy. *A copy
of the paper is attached.

As usual, we will be meeting at 2pm at the Benjamin Library.

ALSO!

You may be interested to know that the *Evolutionary Ecology journal club *is
running again. Their information is posted below.

Maintain the orange,
Lachlan

*Evolution Meeting Room on Level 2 Robertson Building*

*Wednesday 2-3pm*

Tomorrow, Wednesday 28th February, Michael Jennions will kick things off
with the recent paper “Cognitive performance is linked to group size and
affects fitness in Australian magpies” (Ashton et. al 2018, Nature 554,
364-367) which has been getting a lot of hype in the media.

Here’s a video about it: https://www.eurekalert.org/
pub_releases/2018-02/uoe-llb020518.php

*When can I do this?*

We have a google document with the timetable for people to sign up. Please
sign up for a day to present.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WINndxcWtPRjXSj7A28Br0tF3l9g5
4Um7FLm3Ht5Adw/edit?usp=sharing

*What paper should I choose?*

When choosing a paper, try to think about something that will stimulate
good discussion, so things like reviews on interesting concepts/topics,
classic papers that you always mean to read as well as hot new papers
(think along the lines of Science and Nature) are good. We will also add a
list of some papers to the sign-up google doc and website soon that might
be interesting for those of you who are struggling to find something.

We really encourage everyone to come along, even if the topic is not
exactly what you work on. It is a brilliant way to learn new things, become
a better scientist and get to know the other amazing people that are here!
This is particularly beneficial for new PhD students, so don’t be shy, come
and learn something.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Nina

(Feel free to contact Nina at nina.mclean at anu.edu.au if you have any