PCW: Clinton to Reverse Encryption Prohibition

Charles Wright charles@netspace.net.au
Thu, 03 Oct 1996 11:58:31 +1000

At 12:25 pm 2/10/96 -0700, you wrote:

> encryption software, permitting U.S. software
>makers to sell strong 56-bit Data
>                   Encryption Standard products overseas.

>                   The proposal is likely to be more palatable to the
>IT industry and security
>                   advocates than the Administration's earlier
>proposals, including the "Clipper
>                   Chip" plan that would have made the government the
>holder of code-breaking
>                   keys.

We ran the story in today's Financial Review (page 33), sourced from
Reuter. But that story quoted the forces of light in Congress, and software
manufacturers including Netscape, as being less than impressed. According
to Netscape: "wrong-headed and going backwards". According to Senator
Conrad Burns, "The debate is not over by any stretch."
Charles Wright charles@netspace.net.au
Assistant Editor (Technology) Australian Financial Review
Road Warrior and ClickStreams Columnist
Computer commentator ABC Radio 3LO Drive Time Show
President Melbourne PC User Group president@melbpc.org.au