Telstra Internet capacity to the US

Michael Biber mbiber@bibertel.com.au
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 18:07:05 +1100

G'day Linkers; Interesting piece of trivia:
At the ATUG peer to peer luncheon yesterday, Lindsay Yelland, Manager
Commercial and Government, Telstra, quoted the observation that Telstra
have 32MB of bandwidth to the US at present for their Internet
connection. They have ordered a 45MB pipe and that should be installed
in the next few weeks. He then went on to say that, by Christmas,
Telstra will have more bandwidth to the US for their Internet
connections than for all their voice connections combined.

I realise that there's a discontinuity in this as the primary Internet
connection for all traffic is to the US, but this still amazes me. I
presume that the No. 1 destination for IDD out of Australia, is the US?

Mike Biber.
--
BiberTel Consulting Services / Asia Pacific Networx
PH: +61 2 9564-6866