Timed Internet Calls to be Strictly Business

Tony Barry Tony.Barry@anu.edu.au
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:26:44 +1000

At 23:37 on 96/10/14, George Bray wrote:

> "The Federal Govt is planning to allow carriers to introduce timed calls
> for business users of the Internet and other data-based services."

The practicality intrigues me. Being at a university I often link in from
home to get some work done.  I'm not sure how you can divide business from
home easily.

For instance suppose you run a small consulting or other business where the
product is information of some kind.  You might establish a business
address shared with a number of other small firms where paper mail and goes
and where email can get answered, web sites maintained etc.  You might also
access the net from home for your private purposes or for family use. How
do they get untangled??

If I'm maintaining a web site as my business I'd might do most of it
offline at home.  If I then uploaded it in one hit from home every few days
does this make my home phone a business phone and how can anybody tell??

It sounds like a can of worms.

Tony

Email          : Tony.Barry@anu.edu.au
Voice          : +61 6 249 4632         Fax: +61 6 279 8120
Details        : http://snazzy.anu.edu.au/People/TonyB.html

Head, Center for Networked Access to Scholarly Information,
Australian National University Library, A.C.T. 0200, AUSTRALIA.