Seminars - Sydney, Melbourne

Rachel Abrahams rabraham@circit.vut.edu.au
Thu, 17 Oct 96 17:14:51 EST

Thursday 31 October, 4:00pm (Canberra) or Tuesday 5 November (Sydney)
ATUG, AIIA CIRCIT and invite you and your colleagues (no charge) to a
seminar on:

Policy Issues For The Converging Information and Communication
Industries:Developing New Perspectives

John Burke, Director, Centre for International Research on Communication and
Information Technologies (CIRCIT)
John LeGates, Managing Director, Program on Information Resources Policy
(PIRP), Harvard University

As we move through the revision of the Telecommunications Act and the post
1997 regime of open competition, we recognise that the changes occurring in
industry and service structure from "convergence" - with developing emphases
on interactive online services and content access - require a broad view
well beyond the conventional telecommunications and information technology
perspectives.
How should we be thinking ahead to the environment for the next stage of
industry development?  What is the shape of the industry we need to plan
for?  What are the underlying principles for policy and industry development?
This seminar will examine these critical questions and encourage discussion
based on
- The outcomes of the CIRCIT Policy Forum recently conducted in association
with the US Aspen Institute:  Promoting Competition in the Converging
Information and Communication Industries: Will the Australian Model Deliver?.
- Consideration of a collaborative project being conducted by CIRCIT and the
Harvard PIRP looking at the range of approaches being taken on key issues
internationally: Drivers of Development in Information and Communication
Services: International Experience and Directions.  Key issue areas being
examined in this project are:
- The policy and regulatory environment relating to ICS development
- Approaches to innovation and market stimulation - the growth issue
- Access to networks, facilities and services - the bottleneck/stranglehold
issue
- Competition and industry structure - the dynamics issue
- Universality of enhanced services/features - What does everyone need in
today's world
- How do the issues relate? Cross-impacts, commonalties and conflicts.
Please confirm your attendance with Rachel Abrahams by Friday 25 October.

Thursday 31 October 1996
Venue:	AIIA, 12 Campion Street, Deakin West ACT
Time:	4:00pm
Tuesday 5 November 1996
Venue: Level 3, 80 Alfred Place, Milsons Point, NSW
RSVP(for both):	Rachel Abrahams
Ph: 03 9248 1178   Fax: 9248 1170
Email: rabrahams@circit.vut.edu.au
Centre for International Research on Communication and Information Technologies
Rachel Abrahams, Manager, Administration
CIRCIT, 14/300 Flinders St
Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia
phone: + 61 3 9248-1178 fax: + 61 3 9248 1170
email: rabrahams@circit.vut.edu.au   url: http://teloz.latrobe.edu.au/circit/