Telstra Internet capacity to the US

Jack Gilding j.gilding@c031.aone.net.au
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 06:14:50 +1000

I'm was just lurking on this one, presuming someone more technically
informed than I would start the response, but to date they haven't so here goes.

It would indeed be extremely newsworthy if Internet traffic exceeded voice
traffic, but with all due respect to senior Telstra management (as
reported), I'm not convinced yet.  My little sample card of Optical Fibre
from Telstra says a 'pair of single mode fibres can carry .... 565Mbits/s'
(although from memory 166MB is more common).  And they are talking about
interstate links (maybe trans Pacific links are lower capacity but I cant
see why they would be).  Now I know there is a lot of under utilised fibre
under the ocean, but I doubt that the total voice traffic is less than could
be carried on a single pair of fibres.  Could someone please clarify?

Thanks
Jack Gilding