Advice wanted, regarding kiddie porn email

Robert Hart hartr@interweft.com.au
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:03:01 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Roger Clarke wrote:

> G'day Rachel and Robert
>
> You're dead right to be a little circumspect about this.  Yes, the use of
> the net for such purposes is regrettably real;  but so is the use of the
> Internet to beat up frenzy about both the real and the imagined.

Yup - I'm aware of that, but the material is pretty explicit and even as
a spoof I think it might be illegal. I am really concerned that having
this material may be illegal here!

> One thing that *everyone* seems to be in agreement on is that Internet
> Services Providers have a responsibility to take measured action when they
> have reasonable grounds for believing that their resources are being used
> in ways, or for purposes, that are illegal.  [Warning:  that's a
> provisional formulation, written at speed, without review or revision ...].
>
> So I reckon your appropriate reaction is to report it post haste to AOL,
> including maximal info of use to them in debugging (especially full
> headers), *plus* your expression of concern that (a) the offer may be a
> spoof, and (b) the apparent sender's address may have been falsified.
>
> I, for one, would be very interested in AOL's reaction (or even lack
> thereof), and any further info. that comes to hand.  [Declaration of even
> more interest than usual:  in addition to running a community-service page,
> I'm performing paid consultancy work to which this matter is very relevant].

I have done the following...

1) Sent a copy of the mail (with full headers) to abuse@aol.com 2) Saved
my maillog here on my home Unix machine. 3) Saved the maillog on the
gateway machine for which the address to which the message was sent (I
still have accounts there as well as a .forward in my old email account).

This has the (apparent) IP numbers of the sending machines in it.

4) Advised my current ISP of the issue and my replacement as official
Internet Point of Contact at my old site (to which the mail was originally
addressed).

I have had one email suggesting that I contact the state police. I am
unsure about this...advice?

Robert Hart                                  iweft@ipax.com.au
Voice: +61 (0)3 9735 3586
InterWeft, 35 Summit Road, Lilydale, Victoria 3140, Australia
        IT, data and voice networking Consultancy
        Strategic IT business planning
        Internet planning, implementation, security and configuration