Advice wanted, regarding kiddie porn email

Ross Johnson rpj@ise.canberra.edu.au
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:18:17 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 ianp@peg.apc.org wrote:

> I got the same message. I have to say that in over a decade of email this is
> the first time I have ever been sent such material.
>
> Was it sent to all linkers?

I have not personally received one, but as sysadmin on a system with
hundreds of expired accounts I'm getting a lot of error reports from my
mail system containing the full message, including the expired account
name. Sysadmins need to be a little careful and not jump to conclusions
about owners of expired accounts.

Normally for privacy reasons I only get the header of messages which
bounce off my system. Why I'm getting the full message is because my
system is bouncing the message back to the aol sender address, which
doesn't exist, and so aol is bouncing the message back to the sender of
the original return message, which is the mail admin on my system (me).

| Ross Johnson         |   | E-Mail: rpj@ise.canberra.edu.au
| Info Sciences and Eng|___|
| University of Canberra   | FAX:    +61 6 2015227
| PO Box 1                 |
| Belconnen  ACT    2616   | WWW:    http://willow.canberra.edu.au/~rpj/
| AUSTRALIA                |