Porn letter

Adam Creed acreed@netspace.net.au
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:35:55 +1000

At 13:27 22/10/96 +1000, you wrote:
>I too never received anything; it strikes me that those who didn't are
>people who have not emailed anything to 'link' recently.

This spam is well-known and was sent to a huge number of people
worldwide this morning. It has been reported to the authorities in
the US and the AOL accounts have been terminated. It is not targetted
toward any specific list - the opening line "I sent you this because you
are on a list...etc" is typical of email mass-mailing scams.

People may be interested that some have suggested it is a sting
by Christian right-wing organisations in the States to demonstrate
the availability of immoral material on the Internet. Whether this is
true or not what is almost certain is that it is a scam (it certainly
embarasses Barnard).

Regards
Adam Creed
The Inside Running - Internet News & Views