Porn and the link list

Robert Hart hartr@interweft.com.au
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 14:31:53 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Tim Redhead wrote:

> If convenient, the recipients might also find if they post to any
> common USENET groups. Software is available which trawls any group
> and collects poster's email addresses; I think this technique has been
> used in the past to harrass groups of people.

Well - I am active on quite a number of mailing lists (link is possibly
one of the lowest volume lists I take), post to a numner of Usenet groups.

Also, the address used to send me the email was registered as the
official POC for the domain I came from. Finally, I am authour/maintainer
for a widely distributed "HOWTO" in the Linux community (which has also
been published a a chapter of a Linux book).

So, I suspect that people could have trawled my address from any one of a
number of places...no way of knowing which one though I suppose.

Robert Hart                                  iweft@ipax.com.au
Voice: +61 (0)3 9735 3586
InterWeft, 35 Summit Road, Lilydale, Victoria 3140, Australia
        IT, data and voice networking Consultancy
        Strategic IT business planning
        Internet planning, implementation, security and configuration