that email...

Michael Ledwidge leddo@drjones.next.com.au
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:37:16 +0001 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Rachel Polanskis wrote:

> It made the ABC news...
>
> No matter how distressing the message was, I do hope there is not the
> usual media hype on the "Evil Internet".

Blimey! You can't have it both ways. I would have thought that posting to a
high-profile mailing list like link counts as media nowadays. The beat-up
of this issue started here and somewhere someone has demonstrated a
worthwhile point - this medium is so very ripe for exploitation, even
amoungst the educated. Words without substance never had so much power.

For the Net to function properly as a tool/environment/workspace for the
individual then the onus is on that individual to recognise
_lack_ of substance as the double-edged sword it is. Are we really ready
for all this? I think not.

Cheers,
	.M.

					Michael Ledwidge