that email...

Tim Redhead redhead@dstc.edu.au
Wed, 23 Oct 96 16:13:51 +1000

  >> No matter how distressing the message was, I do hope there is not
  >> the usual media hype on the "Evil Internet".

  Michael> Blimey! You can't have it both ways. I would have thought
  Michael> that posting to a high-profile mailing list like link
  Michael> counts as media nowadays. The beat-up of this issue started
  Michael> here and somewhere someone has demonstrated a worthwhile
  Michael> point - this medium is so very ripe for exploitation, even
  Michael> amoungst the educated. Words without substance never had so
  Michael> much power.

Umm... At a conference, you will hear presentations (where one
person describes something to a wide audience),  and you will
participate in BOF sessions (where people discuss issues of common
interest in small groups).

I just have trouble understanding why the BOF is really a public
presentation, just because some passer-by over-hears a few keywords
and parrots them through the public-address system, in this case even
using a loud-hailer out on the street!

I'm having even more trouble understanding the equivalence between the
BOF-participant's discussion/quest for knowlege, and the
passer-by's clueless, public parrotting of the BOF keyword-list,
sans fact of course.

Nope, I guess I'm just plain confused!

Thanks,
	Tim.

                              Tim Redhead
  Level 7, Gehrmann Labs,  University of Queensland., Qld., Australia, 4072
     email:redhead@dstc.edu.au  	http://www.dstc.edu.au/Staff.html
               Telephone:+617 3654310  Facsimile:+617 3654311
                        Speak for yourself; I do.