Every cloud has a silver lining?

mark.hughes@ccamatil.com mark.hughes@ccamatil.com
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:18:39 EDT

Irene,
thanks for the update on how the govt. currently views possession of
illegal material, even where the recipient did not ask for/does not
want the stuff.

Now, why am I not surprised by the govts. inability to come to grips
with the implications of the internet on this viewpoint?

Still, my original contention seems to hold - if 1, 10 or 100 people
receive material in a spam, the boys in blue may try to prosecute.
But if a million people receive it, the chances of
a) a prosecution being started
b) being successfully concluded
are virtually nil.  Which may give an incentive for some groups to
conduct very large scale spams.

Advertising content spams already have an incentive to spam the
largest possible group of recipients to maximise their chances of a
reponse.  Its not a pleasant thought that other groups may also have
an incentive to spam the largest possible group of recipients merely
to deflect govt. harassment of the intended - possibly very small -
group of recipients.

Regards, Mark

*  Message From : HUGHES, MARK          *
*  Location     : AUSTRALIA-CCA HDQ     *
*  KOMAIL ID    : N17503  (CCAMCQN1)    *
*  Date and Time: 10/25/96  10:15:49    *