Government On-Line Directory (GOLD) Now Available

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke@anu.edu.au
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:40:23 +1000

The following message appeared on gelproc on 24 October, and presumably in
a few other places as well;  but I don't recall seeing it on either of
these two lists, despite its apparent considerable interest to both
communities.  (So if Ian was looking for a staged release, he's got it!).

If you have a slow line, don't waste your time going to the AGPS home-page
first, but go straight to the search-page at:
http://203.2.143.4:3910/a.x500

It requires a serious effort to evaluate this initiative properly (yes,
Ian, I *do* do such things for a living!).  My first impressions were 'this
will be a highly valuable community service', 'yes it appears to work', and
'but where are the email addresses?'.

AGPS has just released its X.500 based directory service on the web.  If
you know what our Commonwealth Government Directory contains you can now
get at the information electronically.

You can now search for Government employees (at a senior level only at
this stage) by name, location, agency, or function, and have information
such as address, postal address, phone, fax, and email address returned.

This is a beta implementation at this stage and we would welcome any
constructive comments and feedback.

The service can be accessed from our home page at
http://www.agps.gov.au/

I hope you find the information useful.

Apologies for cross postings.

Ian Macintosh
ian.macintosh@das.gov.au
+61 6 295 4869 (ph)
+61 6 295 4696 (fx)
PO Box 84 Canberra City ACT Australia 2601 (Snail Mail)

Roger Clarke              http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/
Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
Tel:  +61  6  288 6916                       Fax:   +61  6  288 1472

Visiting Fellow, Faculty of          Email:  Roger.Clarke@anu.edu.au
    Engineering and Information Technology
Information Sciences Building Room 211       Tel:   +61  6  249 3666
The Australian National University
Canberra   ACT   0200   AUSTRALIA            Fax:   +61  6  249 0010