Government On-Line Directory (GOLD) Now Available

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd@netinfo.com.au
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:16:16 +1100 (EST)

>AGPS has just released its X.500 based directory service on the web.  If
>you know what our Commonwealth Government Directory contains you can now
>get at the information electronically.
>
>You can now search for Government employees (at a senior level only at
>this stage) by name, location, agency, or function, and have information
>such as address, postal address, phone, fax, and email address returned.
>
>This is a beta implementation at this stage and we would welcome any
>constructive comments and feedback.

I just tried looking up a friend who changed job and went overseas three
months ago. I was interested in his address so I could send him a
Christmas card.

The search told me of his previous position.

A few questions-

* I assume that, as a beta version that there will be a few problems, but how
current is the information going to be?

* What mechanisms will be put in place to ensure that the information is as
up-to-date as possible?

* Who will be responsible for the accuracy and currency of the information?

* If it is the responsibility of the person concerned to make sure that their
information is correct, what happens when someone leaves or goes overseas?

I think that GOLD is an excellent idea, I hope that all the non-technical
issues are addressed so that it achieves its promise.

regards
brd

|Bernard Robertson-Dunn                   |
|Canberra                                 |
|Australia                                |
|brd@netinfo.com.au                       |